Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Old Projects: Making Dancesport Gowns

I started ballroom dancing about 3 years ago, & finally decided it was time to compete. Not one to spend $5000 on a dress, I decided to make one.

The first gown was supposed to be a copy of one I saw online. Who knew that:

1) regular chiffon wouldn't drape across the bodice since it doesn't stretch
2) when the chiffon doesn't work you should call it a day because the end result is looking naked on the dance floor
3) everyone was right when they said not to use a zipper because it puckers and you look like you have a spinal deformity
4) when they say to make the sleeves tight, it doesn't mean that it should double as sausage casing
5) it turns out that while a gross (144) Swarovski crystals sounds like a lot, it's only like a 1/4 teaspoon of stones



For the 2nd dress I decided that I needed a pattern, so I cut one from muslin. This time I learned:

1) a size 4 dress form is a bad idea if you're a size 12
2) *always* check to see if you have 4-way or 2-way stretch fabric, and if it's 2-way then it had better stretch side-to-side and not up-and-down or the dress gets longer & longer
3) don't make a dancesport gown in black (even if the fabric is super cheap) or your dance coach will call you an idiot because you just look like the leader's shadow on the dance floor



The next one turned out a little better, and I haven't worn it yet, but...

1) the sequin fabric has torn the heck out of the chiffon each time it has gotten near it
2) the sequin fabric sticks to itself & rips itself apart
3) I probably should try it on because the sleeves may be too long
4) the feathers are placed too high because I suspect that the skirt is going to stretch in length like crazy & I'm going to have to re-hem it



No comments:

Post a Comment