Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Old Projects: Intro to the Sculpey Clay Christmas Village

The houses started in 2006 as a Christmas gift for my neighbors Lyn & Tom. They continued up until Christmas of 2010 when I finally ran out of family members to make them for, since each house was customized to an individual's interests or hobbies. Not sure what I'll do next year, but my middle-aged eyes are getting too darned fuzzy to work on the tiny details anyway!

I cut out a cardboard template that got reused over the years, and by moving the front door could have 2 different style houses with roofs that sloped in different directions. I found various tools around the house (dental pick, knives, pencils) to form the details in the clay - let your imagination run wild!

Lyn's Lily Pad Flower Shop 2006

Tom's Tools 2006

Brandon's Bistro 2007

Brittany's Boutique 2008

Trevor's Tweets-n-Tails Pet Shop 2009 (poor quality photo)

Tru [for Truman] Toys & Sports 2010
The windows are made from the plastic tops at the Stop-n-Shop salad bar - I ate a lot of salad to collect those! I printed the wording out backwards on my ink-jet printer, put the plastic over it and used a toothpick to paint on the shop names - when placed in the windows the paint looks nice & smooth

No comments:

Post a Comment